West: the hidden Sicily
The west of Sicily is still quite unknown, but really worth the detour! During this 8-day trip, you will discover western Sicily, and be surprised by the beauty of the region, which has not yet been affected by mass tourism.
Palermo, Agrigento, Marsala
Places of interest
Three stages are planned, to make the most of your time, as the distances on this side of the island are relatively short. You will discover the extraordinary atmosphere of the city of Palermo, the unknown interior of Agrigento and the unexpected beauty of the province of Trapani.
If you wish we can organize activities, experiences, trips and dinners according to your tastes.
The three stopovers
The first stopover is planned in a B&B accommodation in the historical center of Palermo, just behind the Cathedral and the charming street market of Il Capo. You will stay in a noble palazzo, restored by painter and sculptor Beppe Vesco. He restored the building respecting the ancient settings and materials enriching it with its own pieces. To welcome you today is Alessandro, son of the artist, who will share his love for his native city with you.
To see nearby
- Monreale and its famous Cathedral, an amazing example of Norman architecture with its fascinating Byzantine golden mosaics.
- Cefalù and the northern coast.
- Tour guide
After an initial impression of a big city like Palermo, we will take you to the second stay of your journey in the heart of the historical center of Agrigento, in a nice B&B, le Terrazze di Montelusa, accurately renovated and belonging to the family owner since 1822. You will be welcomed by the charme of Francesco, and if you're lucky, by a sonata of his piano! Just a few steps away you can reach medieval and baroque churches, the prestigious Theatre 'Luigi Pirandello' and the Via Atenea, always been a place of shopping and strolling; the famous Valley of the Temples and the golden sandy beaches are located just a few kilometers from here.
To see nearby
- Agrigento and the Valley of the Temples archaeological area Walking and hiking, with various levels of difficulty, around Sant'Angelo Muxaro.
- Open-air museum and street art in Favara.
- Caving trips in the area's natural caves.
- A visit to the shepherds, with the incredible. experience of "milking" your own cappuccino and enjoying warm, freshly made ricotta, taste the typical biscuits of Sant’Angelo o the “pane cunzatu” (typical Sicilian flavored bread) in a very old local bakery.
The third leg of your tour is going to be on the west coast, in the picturesque scenery of the Stagnone Natural Reserve in Marsala, in an eighteenth-century “Baglio”, a typical rural building that belonged to a noble Sicilian family. The property has been recently restored and is furnished with taste and attention to detail. Antonio and his wife are the heart of this authentic place and very special hosts. Here you can enjoy great cuisine: homemade recipes, simple and refined at the same time, will make you enjoy the rich flavors of the Sicilian tradition. Antonio will give you lots of advice to discover the area.
To see nearby
- Selinunte and Segesta with their Greek temple and theater.
- Scopello and the magnificent Nature Reserve of "Lo Zingaro".
- Trapani, Marsala (windmills and salt pans), and the island of Mothia.
- Excursions to the Salt Pan Nature Reserve.
- The unspoiled Egadi islands (Favignana, Levanzo, and Marettimo).
- The medieval town of Erice.