Sometimes the weather is not in your favor, and it could be frustrating when it happens precisely during your holiday. But no worries, we will give you a few tips to enjoy your stay in Puglia, whether it’s rainy or sunny.
The first recommendation is the easiest, and probably you don’t need us to tell you, but just in case….:
1) Relax in a SPA
You mustn’t go far because our hotels can offer you an incredible experience, a journey between a sauna, Turkish bath, and all kinds of massages with relaxing music in the background—unforgettable moments in a friendly and warm atmosphere.
Ready to discover what’s next?
2) Visit a few museums; depending on where you are, you can choose from:
- The “Sigismondo Castromediano” Museum in Lecce; here, you will find a large exhibition of archaeological finds in Salento since prehistoric times and, in particular, the Messapian and Roman domination. There is also an art gallery with paintings dating back to a period between 1400 and 1700. Not to miss the reconstruction of the prehistoric Grotta dei Cervi of Porto Badisco, one of the most critical sets of paintings from the European Neolithic era.
- “Pino Pascali” Museum, in Polignano a Mare, committed to the great artist of contemporary art (often also other temporary exhibitions take place here).
- The Archaeological Museum in Taranto: here, you will visit one of the largest collections of finds and artifacts from the Magna Graecia era.
3) “Le Grotte di Castellana” in Bari
When it rains, this place is ideal, obviously covered! Underground cavities of karst origin develop for a length of 3348 meters and reach a maximum depth of 122 meters from the surface. The temperature inside reaches around 16.5°C.
Depending on your fitness, you can choose between two different itineraries about 70 meters deep and a few kilometers long, in the fantastic scenery of stalactites and stalagmites.
Events and shows are organized throughout the year here in the Castellana caves, a truly incredible scenery for music or theater!
Check out the schedule during your stay in Puglia so you won’t miss this unique experience!
4) Enjoy a Mozzarella Workshop
When you think of mozzarella, Naples and Campania come to mind. However, Puglia is not second in the production of this Italian icon.
Take the opportunity to immerse yourself in the unique true soul of Puglia by attending a mozzarella making-demo in a typical Apulian farmhouse.
You will understand all the stages to finish this delicious cheese, used worldwide in many dishes.
And then the fun part of the process is…..EAT!
5) Participating in a genuine Apulian cooking class is another fun experience to change your mood on a rainy day!
A cooking experience is a perfect opportunity to learn new recipes that prepare a typical Apulian menu, starting with the antipasti to the dessert. You will be guided by a friendly local chef who will teach you all the secrets you need to know to make an excellent dish!
Your first step will be shopping directly in the local market. You will learn what to choose and how (very important!). All dishes have a wine pair; therefore, stopping at the wine shop is a must.
Your Apulian kitchen knowledge will start with the famous appetizers, “taralli,” small nibbles of crunchy bread prepared with olive oil and white wine, and “panzerotti,” a typical street food fried bread filled with tomato and mozzarella.
Then, the homemade pasta, the well-known orecchiette with turnip tops.
The “friselle,” donut-shaped slices of dry bread, are great for a light and quick lunch. You will learn how a dried piece of bread can turn into a fantastic dish topped with local olive oil, cheese, tomatoes, olives, tuna, and basil.
And finally, the best part of the class, you will enjoy your meal, tasting your creations paired with delicious wines from Puglia.
Was it raining outside? I am sure you forgot about it!
After having read this, what do you think? These suggestions may be valid even if it doesn’t rain in Puglia!