Sicily Wine Tour
This tour is dedicated to wine experts or enthusiasts who want to visit the vineyards and taste the wines of historic Sicilian families, and experience moments of pure charm and authenticity in their family countryside homes
Palermo, Sclafani bagni (Palermo), Menfi (Agrigento), Vittoria (Ragusa)
Places of interest
This trip will start in Palermo, a historical and gastronomic must and the best way to get you into the Sicilian mood. The tour continues visiting the vineyards and cellars of some of the most renowned Sicilian wine estates: Tasca D'Almerita, Planeta, and Occhipinti.
The charming and beautiful Sicilian countryside will be your home as you will stay in the ancestral country houses of these wine producers' families.
Have dinner at Gabriella's house in Palermo, a fantastic chef. Visit vineyards, wine cellars, and wine tastings. At least one cooking class is a must!
Included in the price
Car rental, Accommodation, Breakfast
The four stopovers
The first part of the Sicily wine tour is thought to be in Palermo, which will give you the right vibe to start this tour. You can profit from visiting the highlights of this magnificent city. Still, I suggest organizing a dinner (and a cooking class if interested) at Gabriella Garajo’s house, an outstanding chef!
You will stay in the heart of central Palermo, the Kalsa district, in an environment with a unique atmosphere where history, art, and design meet; the Hotellerie B&B is designed to offer the best possible hospitality.
The rooms are housed within the ancient Arab walls that have protected the city since the 9th century, the walls of the Foro Italico. The property overlooks the sea near Porta Felice, the historic access to the Cassaro, now called Corso Vittorio Emanuele. A solarium and relaxing pool are on the lovely terrace facing the sea.
To note: The B&B represents the new generation of management. There is no reception, but is always somebody h24 ready to support and help; you can check in at any time of the day using the 24-hour self-check-in service.
To see nearby
- Discover the city of Palermo in a new and original way with the help of Arianna, our Personal City Tour Designer. Starting from your personal interests, we will put together a tailor-made tour to experience Palermo through its multiple perspectives:
- Itineraries from Arab-Norman to Art Nouveau, and Contemporary Art
- Architecture of the 1300’s, noble Palazzo’s, the glory of the Baroque
- The historical markets and Palermo’s famous street food
- Theatre-folklore, open-air and sports activities, shopping, and cool events
Regaleali Estate and around
Here we are in the history of the Tasca d’Almerita family, which dates back to 1830 when the brothers Lucio and Carmelo bought the land, a green oasis in the heart of Sicily, the Sclafani countryside.
The family started making wine here after the two wars when Sicily was yet to be known for its agricultural products and the variety of its territories. In 1959, Perricone and Nero d’Avola vines created the well-known “Riserva del Conte” – later called Rosso del Conte, an icon of the estate – and then Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay, the first to be produced in Sicily, opened the door to earning the high reputation abroad that still have now.
Hospitality at Regaleali will be a charming, pure, authentic experience between lakes and hills, wheat fields, and olive trees, where wine has been made for two hundred years. You will lodge at Case Grandi, the old family property. All the rooms gather around the old courtyard with the big magnolia tree at the center. The products and flavors from the vegetable garden are the best guides in understanding the tradition of a cuisine built on ancient recipes.
At the estate, of course, wine tasting is a must. But whether you hike among the vineyards, take bike rides, follow the work in the fields, relax, or follow a cooking class and sip a glass of wine, the welcome silence of nature will surround you in a magical atmosphere.
To see nearby
- The estate is located in the hinterland of the magnificent Sicilian countryside between Palermo and Cefalù. The picturesque villages of the Madonie Park are at easy reach: Gangi, Petralia Sottana and Soprana, Polizzi Generosa, Castelbuono.
Planeta Estate and around
We begin with the words of the Planeta Family:
We have always combined our passion for Sicily with a desire to warmly welcome those who wish to discover it. Because of this, our wineries have never merely been places to produce wine but have also been devoted to hospitality, linked to cooking, nature, and the local culture.
For your third stopover of our Sicily wine Tour, we chose this well-known Sicilian wine producer built on a long agricultural tradition from 1500 through 17 generations in the area between Sambuca di Sicilia and Menfi (Agrigento district). Here you can visit one of the six cantines with various wines, including Nero d’Avola, Chardonnay, Merlot, Syrah, and Grecanico.
To see nearby
- The wine resort lies at a strategic point in Sicily, between archaeological sites and nature reserves, and provides the perfect beginning for a journey to discover the island.
- Cooking class for those who are curious to learn the traditional ancient Sicilian recipes
Occhipinti Estate and around
The history of the Baglio Occhipinti estate is the story of a family which was always linked to the production of wine and the territory, over ten hectares of the Ragusa countryside in south-eastern Sicily.
On the one hand, there is Fausta, a landscape architect passionate about botany and watercolor painting, with a genuine passion for cooking. Her taste and style in transforming this ancient 17th-century farmhouse into a place of hospitality make her the perfect hostess.
On the other hand, there is her sister Arianna, who is fully involved in the management of her own company “Arianna Occhipinti,” in the cultivation of the vineyards of the Baglio property, strictly organic, designed to enhance the territory and the Cerasuolo di Vittoria, in the Val di Noto, the very heart of the Cerasuolo di Vittoria DOCG.
Everything here speaks of the history of the Occhipinti family, who cultivate traditions and the land, creating wine, with strict ethics on environmental values, because for Fausta and Arianna, there is no other way of doing agriculture other than respecting nature. Opening the doors to their guests means sharing all of this with them.
To see nearby
- You are in the middle of the South-east, the richest area of Sicily for sights to visit
- Caltagirone is at 40 km drive, and a little further the beautiful Villa Romana del Casale in Piazza Armerina
- All the lovely Baroque towns: Scicli, Modica, Ragusa. and of course Noto and a little further Siracusa
- Pachino and the fishermen's village of Marzamemi, and all the stunning Vendicari Reserve